At Paterson Grain, we relate our success directly to the strength of our management team. To continue operating at our high standards, we’re seeking a general manager to lead the terminal. This person should have experience in overseeing terminal operations as well as communications. The ideal candidate will be an expert communicator who has a strong ability to delegate responsibility and collaborate across a range of departments. Ultimately, the general manager should be driven by a desire to lead our business to maximum productivity and efficiency.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to: Regional Manager
Direct reports include: Marketing Manager and Facility Manager
- Responsible for the overall operations of a grain terminal facility.
- To achieve positive results in areas of grain procurement, inventory management, grain shipments, staff management and grain grading and storage.
- Provides accurate planning, forecasting, budgeting and actively participates in staff selection, training and coaching.
- To deliver financial results (revenue and expense) as set out in operating and capital budgets. Provides effective management of inventories, receivables, fixed assets and rolling stock.
- Working with the Regional Manager and Human Resources, coordinates and administers all embedded (local facility) Human Resource activities; includes hiring of staff, on-boarding, training, performance reviews, compensation reviews, succession planning, career development plans and discipline as required.
- Develop and maintain strong business relationships with customers that mutually beneficial. Sets the standard for excellence in customer service.
- To maximize throughput and profitable grain handling and achieves operational efficiency standards.
- Ensures quality standards are constantly met. Takes full responsibility for the specifications of grains when loaded into rail cars and trucks. Monitors quality problems to identify cause and develop solutions.
- To enforce and monitor compliance with all corporate or regulated safety, health and environmental policies and procedures. Ensures the protection of the company from an environmental perspective through the identification and reduction of environmental hazards.
Desired skills and experience
- High school graduate.
- 2+ years supervisory experience.
- A background in agriculture or farming is an asset.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office – Word, Excel & Outlook
- Excellent communication skills.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license.
- Must maintain a favorable bond record.
- Attractive compensation package including bonuses, company paid medical & dental benefits.
- Work-life balance and Employee Assistance Programs.
- Paid vacation and personal days.
- Employee recognition and service awards.
Paterson Grain is known throughout Canada and the world as a company rooted in its commitment to quality, innovation, and exceptional customer service. Paterson focuses its expertise on all aspects of grain handling and prides itself on building long-term relationships with Canadian farmers and its domestic and international customers. Our agricultural products and services span all sectors of the Canadian grain industry and include crop input services, identity preserved programs and non-GMO programs. Through our modern global network, Paterson Grain is fully capable of facilitating the marketing and transportation of quality crops to buyers around the world.
Paterson Grain is an equal opportunity employer and is committed in building a skilled and diverse workforce. We encourage women, aboriginal peoples, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities to apply and self-identify.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected further in the process will be contacted.